- 1 pound macaroni noodles, can use whole wheat
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, mashed
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken stock or broth
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 2 10-ounce packages frozen diced butternut squash
- 1 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano blend, divided
- 1/2 cup shredded muenster cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon paprika
Bring water to a boil, season with salt and cook macaroni to according to package directions, leaving the macaroni with a slight bite (al dente). Heat butternut squash in microwave according to package directions (or use stove top). Set aside. Squash should be very soft – turn into a puree with the back of a spoon.
Preheat broiler and place rack in middle of the oven.
Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat, saute the onion and garlic until soft, about 6 minutes.
In a medium saucepan, melt butter. Whisk in flour, then add stock and milk. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg and cook until thickened, about 5 minutes. Add to onions and garlic. Stir to combine. Add butternut squash, mix and reduce heat. When sauce comes to a bubble, stir in 3/4 cup parmigiano and muenster cheeses. Combine the sauce and macaroni, transfer to a casserole dish and top with remaining parmigiano-reggiano, shredded cheddar and paprika. Brown the macaroni under broiler, about 5 minutes until the cheese is bubbling and deliciously brown.