- Cooking spray
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup bran cereal
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsulphered molasses
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup lowfat buttermilk
- 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips (can also use regular chocolate chips)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Coat a regular muffin tin with cooking spray.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the all-purpose and whole wheat flours, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and nutmeg.
In a large bowl, whisk the sugar, molasses, oil and eggs until combined. Add the pumpkin and vanilla and whisk to combine. Stir in the flour mixture in 2 batches, alternating with the buttermilk. Add mini chocolate chips. Do not over mix, just make sure everything is incorporated.
Spoon batter into the prepared muffin tin, filling each cup to almost the top. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
Let cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Run a knife around the muffins to loosen them and remove from pan.