- 2 (6-ounce) pieces salmon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to season
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, plus more to season
- 1/2 pound whole-wheat pasta, any shape (I used twisty gobetti)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream (optional)
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
- 3 tablespoons capers, rinsed
- zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach leaves
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Rub salmon with 1 tablespoon olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast in oven for 12 minutes, or until cooked through.
Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until tender but al dente, stirring occasionally, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain pasta reserving 3 tablespoons pasta water with the pasta and transfer both to a large bowl. Add the garlic, 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, salt and pepper to taste, and toss. Add the heavy cream, basil, capers, lemon zest and lemon juice to the pasta mixture and stir to combine.
To serve, place 1/2 cup to 1 cup spinach on each plate. Top with 1/3 of the pasta, then with a piece of the salmon. Serve immediately. Leftover pasta is there for a second serving.