I think my family is like many others that fell into the usual pitfalls of the 80s and 90s. We went to Pizza Hut and it wasn’t healthy. I would be lying if I said I loved the pizza there. I would even be lying if I said I was excited to go there for the pizza. I used to love the salad bar. No, not for the lettuce (that would be weird) or typical salad bar fare. I loved the macaroni salad.
Fast forward to today, the thought of eating macaroni salad from a salad bar or even a grocery store makes me cringe. Thankfully, I have found a great recipe. It has less fat (the grocery store variety has 19 grams per serving!) and you know the few ingredients. Hopefully there are others out there like me who like macaroni salad and are brave enough to admit it.
- 1/2 cup low-fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup light mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- salt to taste
- 8 ounces uncooked macaroni elbows
- 1 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- 3/4 cup diced provolone cheese
- 1/2 cup diced carrot
- 1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced roasted red peppers (from a jar)